Macintosh Creatures Evolution Engine
From Creatures Wikia
When the Creatures Evolution Engine was ported from Windows through Linux to the Mac OS X, several changes in the engine occurred. These changes are detailed here. The version number used with Exodus is 296 (the Windows Exodus is 286).
Mac Compatibility with Windows/Linux files Overview
- Agents are compatible
Confirmed. Docking Station testing with third party agents has been successful. Some work, some do not. See the relevant agent's page to check whether it has been tested.
Injection of agents into Creatures 3 has not been tested.
- Metarooms are compatible but may be unstable
Tentative. Preliminary tests with metaroom installations have been successful, (i.e. the room will install correctly) but some metarooms cause the game engine to become very unstable.
- Official Creatures Packs are compatible
Confirmed. To download official breeds, choose Linux downloads from the Creatures Mall. Official Breed Packs must be paid for; they are not free. Breeds tested sucessfully: Astro Norns, Bondi Norns, Hardman Norns, Siamese Norns, Treehugger Norns, and Zebra Norns. Banshee Grendels are reported as incompatible. The Quirky Cookie Machine from the Treehugger Pack will only work if the Catalogue files are correctly placed.
- Third Party Breeds are compatible
Tentative. Preliminary testing of add-on breeds has been successful.
- Adoptions are compatible
Confirmed. No known problems or modifications are needed to import creatures.
Installing New Agents, Metarooms or Breeds
To use third party files, you need to follow these steps.
- Find the Creatures 3 or DockingStation Application. They should be located in your Hard Drive/Applications folder.
- Control (right) click on either the Creatures 3 or DockingStation icon.
- Select "Show Package Contents" from the menu. It should be the third item from the top.
- Open the Contents folder.
- Open the MacOS folder.
- Open the data folder. (Creating a shortcut or alias to this folder is highly recommended. You'll be visiting here often.)
- Drop .agent files into the My Agents folder
- Drop .cos files into the Bootstrap/010 Docking Station or Bootstrap/001 World folder.
- Go to Engineering (C3) or the Comms Room (DS) to inject your new agent.
- Once you have injected the agent, check your ~/Library/Preferences/Creatures Labs/Docking Station or Creatures 3/data/Catalogue folder for any new .catalogue files. You have to move these.
- Move any new .catalogue files from into Hard Drive/Applications/Docking Station or Creatures 3/Contents/MacOS/data/Catalogue.
That's it, you're done! If your agent doesn't have a catalogue file, you can skip the last two steps.
Uninstalling New Agents, Metarooms or Breeds
From a World
- To uninstall a metaroom from a world, first go to the Comms Room or Engineering and click the red uninstall button. The metaroom should now be empty of agents. Then use the 'kill hots' CAOS cheat on the Favourite Place icon for the metaroom.
Advanced Keyboard Commands
|Control + i||Same as Tab. Scroll through available Creatures.|
|Control + s||Pause/Resume Game|
|Control + r||Manual Save Game|
|Control + Left Arrow||Place item from Inventory into Hand / Next object in Inventory|
|Control + Right Arrow||Place item from Inventory into Hand / Previous object in Inventory|
|Control + Up Arrow/Down Arrow||Cycles through what you've said to the norns before.|
|Control + Shift + f||Wolfling run mode (fast ticks). Screen does not refresh.|
|Control + Shift + x||Show/Hide X,Y coordinates of the Hand|
|Control + Shift + a||Toggle Autokill On/Off|
|Control + Shift + c||Open/Close CAOS Command Line|
| Right Click + |
Open CAOS Command Line
|Pick up Creatures. You must open the CAOS Command Line first.|
|Control + 1||Open/Close Creatures Import/Export window|
|Control + 2||Open/Close Options window|
|Control + 3||Open/Close Inventory window|
|Shift + F1-F12||Assigns last phrase said by Hand to Function Key pressed.|
|Command + F1-F12||Assigns current Creature to Function Key pressed.|
|Control + F1 or F2||Force the Finder Menu to show.|
|Shift + Option + Return||Toggle between Full Screen and Windowed Mode.|
|Home||Go to the first location in your Favorite Places row.|
|End|| DS - Go to the last location in your Favorite Places row.|
C3 - Go to the Grendel's Jungle.
| Page Up
fn + Up
|Move to the left one location in your Favorite Places row.|
| Page Down
fn + Down
|Move to the right one location in your Favorite Places row.|
Contrary to the provided documentation, several of the commands for Creatures Exodus do not work in the Macintosh version.
|Shift + S (see also Arrows Patch)||Repeat last phrase said by Hand|
|Arrow Keys (see also Arrows Patch)||Move around the world.|
|Control + Click||Pick up Creatures|
|Control + Shift + W||Enable Wolf Control|
|Control + Shift + f||Wolfling run mode (fast ticks). Screen does not refresh. In the Mac engine, the screen does not refresh, but the game does not run any faster.|
|Control + Shift + T||Display agent classifier numbers|
|Control + Shift + E||Create food, fruit and seeds around the Hand. Note that Multi-Agent Gold has a function that is similar to this command.|
|Control + Shift + H||Locate the HoverDoc|
|Control + Option + F(2-12)||Set current location to Function Key.|
|Mouse Scroll Wheel||Scroll through metarooms|
- Occasionally, the hand *will* pick up Creatures, simply by Option or Right Clicking.
- Left or Right Clicking has also been known to produce characters in the text bubble instead of the intended function.
- When using the CAOS Command Line or attempting to speak to your creatures, using the " character will move the player into the metaroom to the right of the one you were using. The ! character will have the opposite effect.